Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Dear Mr. Judgmental

Dear Sir,

I couldn't help but notice just how fixated you were on me at Popeye's today.

I couldn't help noticing the "tsk, tsk" and the ever so slight head-shake you gave me as I gave my order.

I know what you were thinking: "Poor guy. He's just determined to be fat. It's such a shame."

I'll bet you didn't even know I saw.

Hell, I'll bet you didn't even know you were doing it.

Because, for people like you, that sort of thinking is so ingrained that it shows itself on your face automatically.

But before you judge me too harshly, maybe you should take a few things into account.

One, you don't know me. You don't know what my issues are and you do not know what has placed me in line at this grease pit at this moment in my life.

Two, you had to notice that there were two of us standing there: myself and my son. You should have also noticed that only one meal was ordered. You should have also noticed that I sat there watching while my son had is lunch.

Maybe you think I'm an irresponsible parent for feeding my kid that junk.

Well, maybe you're right.

My bad habits did rub off on him and I'm working to fix that.

But have you ever tried changing an Autistic person's routine overnight?

It just doesn't work.

So I have to exercise a little give and take with my son. He simply doesn't eat this well at home.

And here are a few more things you don't know but should:

First, It's been nearly five months since I've eaten anything fried, breaded or sweet.

That means that there is nothing on this menu I could eat if I even wanted to.

I would LOVE to see you go that long.

I would love to see how you deal with the holidays this year when so many of our traditions revolve around food; so many reminders of people that aren't with us anymore are marked by things we set on the table.

How would YOU deal with not being allowed to have ANY of them?

Because that's me this year. I've made the choice to be well and that means saying, "no" to a lot of things.

Second, I fully acknowledge that this body you see before you is indicative of a problem.

I've gotten help for that problem and now it is going away. Slowly. Most problems don't vanish overnight.

Finally, as you continue to peek up from your fried mess of a meal to gawk at me, you should know that just a month or so ago I didn't fit in this booth but now I do.

So, before you point fingers at someone and judge them for what you think you're seeing happening, you might want to step back for a moment.

Because, kind sir, you are eating here too, and it is no more a healthy option for you than it is for anyone else. Look at me. I've ten years on you if I have a day. I may well represent your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment