Monday, June 10, 2013

Increasing Your Odds of Success on a Low Carb Diet Part 1: Sugar Detox

The thought of "sugar withdrawal" may seem like nothing more than an excuse for people with a sweet tooth (or who simply refuse to give up sugar) to indulge in sweets-eating. But nutritionists and scientists are discovering that when the body is accustomed to high levels of sugar consumption, it can respond to sugar deprivation with the same kind withdrawal symptoms experienced by a drug abuser. The symptoms of sugar withdrawal can, in fact, be very painful and debilitating.
If you're conscious of your sugar intake, and are attempting to limit the amount of sugar in your diet, or eliminate it altogether, be aware of the possibility of experiencing sugar withdrawal symptoms. Understanding the symptoms, and preparing to deal with sugar withdrawal, can help you permanently reduce your sugar intake.
Taper off your sugar intake over several weeks. One of the most common problems that many sugar addicts make is attempting to eliminate sugar from their diet all at once. This method often results in failure in just a few days.
  • A body that is accustomed to receiving sugar on a daily basis cannot quickly adjust to the elimination of sugar, which has served as an energy source.
  • Be aware that if you attempt to quit eating sugar all at once, you'll likely experience profound and severe withdrawal symptoms. The withdrawal symptoms may manifest themselves in severe and intense cravings for sugary foods, or they may include more serious conditions such as headaches or nausea.
  • By gradually reducing your sugar intake over several weeks, you can greatly reduce the severity of these sorts of sugar withdrawal symptoms.
(source: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Through-Sugar-Withdrawal)

The good news is that there is help. This program is one of the most comprehensive and practical ones out there and it will have you off sugar in just three weeks (which is of utmost importance if you intend to low carb). After getting over that hurdle, the idea of limiting your diet to just meat and vegetables should become easier. You will start to lose fat AND gain muscle. Best of all, you will start feeling better IMMEDIATELY. 

Yes, it's difficult. There's no way past that. But take it from someone who mere weeks ago couldn't even get up off his couch: it's totally worth it, difficulty and all. 

Click here to learn more. Read the entire page. See if what Diane has to say makes sense. You will soon be on your way to the best health of your life and you will be setting yourself up for success on your low carb diet!

What is a low carb diet? It's a diet that whose foundation is meats and vegetables with low amounts of grains, sugars and other sources of carbohydrates. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,

    I've read your posts on Theresa's blog and I jomped over here to see what you had to say.

    I enjoy your posts and admire your success. I have a question though regarding the sugar detox. Did you do this? Seems challenging. Did you do it after seeing Julie?

    I'm fortunate that my cravings were gone after my three sessions!

    keep up the great work! Maybe you should post some receipes on Theresa's page!!

    Thanks! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 21 Day Sugar Detox is a program I was hired to review (I'm actually a professional copywriter and blogger). I got access to the full program to be able to do a comprehensive write-up. I think it's the best alternative I've seen if you don't have access to hypnosis or if you don't believe in it enough for it to work for you. The worst and most difficult part of the low-carb experience is the pull of sugar. I discovered 21 day sugar detox just before I went to Julie so I didn't want to start one program then piggyback it with another. I haven't done it because I didn't need it but after researching it and knowing how it works I would have jumped on it if I didn't have one foot in the door at Key already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a small private (invitation only) support group of serious Julie followers and we were wondering if you would be interested in joining. Many of our members are contributors to Theresa's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure.. is this a facebook group or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a fb group, maybe 17 members,and most of us are following Julie's plan to a tee. There are several members that just gawk, so we are happy to add new members that are willing to be verbally supportive!

      Delete
  5. I still don't know where this group is so I can join...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still don't know where this group is so I can join...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris & Joe, I'd like to join this group if possible. I've been doing this for 18 months without going off track and always looking for encouraging groups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still waiting for an invite or instructions on how to join...

    ReplyDelete