Friday, February 21, 2014

Battling Food Boredom

I run into this problem a LOT.

What's for dinner? Let's see... I can make chicken again, I can make pork roast again... Oh! how about steak...again.

Believe me, I get it.

I've been thinking about how to get out of this rut for a while and I think I've got a solution.

Go ahead and give this a try. I do this to an extent now but I need to make it more of a routine.

There are a lot of proteins out there but the basics are going to be beef, pork, chicken and fish primarily. I do eat lamb when I can find it at a good price, but that's not an everyday protein.

I think it is possible to make these four proteins work and maintain some variety.

Here's what I'm thinking:

You can cook your proteins with a minimum of seasoning - just a little salt and pepper. That leaves the possibilities wide open for doing different things with the leftovers.

Here are a couple ideas.

Make a couple pounds of chicken at one time. Cut some chicken breast into strips and pan fry it in a little olive oil. Sprinkle on some kosher salt and a little pepper. Now, set aside whatever you're not going to use for this meal and try one of these simple recipes:

Fajita Chicken
1 lb chicken breast
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1 small onion
Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika and Garlic Powder to taste
Drizzle on some olive oil and bake at 400 for about 25 minutes in a 9x13 baking pan

Curry Chicken
1 lb chicken breast
I can of diced tomatoes
2 T plain yogurt
1 T Indian Curry Spice (pre mixed or use some cumin, cardamom, turmeric and red pepper flakes, ground)
simmer for 20 minutes

Lemon Pepper Chicken
Slice 2 lemons and line the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan
Drizzle on some olive oil and layer the chicken
cut a few chunks of butter into the mix
Sprinkle with italian seasoning and some cracked black pepper and bake for 20 minutes

See what we just did? We managed dinner for Monday, Wednesday and Friday (if you freeze your chicken in portions) and even though the protein is the same, it's a good change-up for the palate.

Don't want to eat chicken every time? You can also substitute steak for any of these, you can use shrimp, pork, you name it.

So on Monday, have lemon pepper chicken. On Tuesday, have curry shrimp. On Wednesday have fajita steak. On Thursday you'll probably be ready for a simple pork roast.

You can then take the remaining pork roast, cube it and toss it with some broccoli, fresh ginger  and shaved carrots for a simple stir fry (I even use a little - note the word  little - soy sauce for flavor).

I also manage to use the leftovers creatively, like making chicken or salmon salad, for example. I take taco meat and make a southwest omelet with a little tomato and cheddar. It doesn't have to be boring.

Oh, and treat yourself once in a while and get to a nice restaurant for something Key-friendly that you wouldn't make at home.

For me that generally means hitting 99 on Thursdays for unlimited 49 cent wings at the bar. Yes, I can make wings at home but I can't get their gold fever sauce anyplace else. :-)

And before anyone starts yelling, "there's honey in that!" I'm going to ask you politely to shaddap. I've lost a foot around my midsection. Apparently it ain't hurtin'.

The same goes for anything you eat that might be out on the fringes of acceptable (I get the honey barbecue wings at 99 too).

There is sugar in every condiment and condiments are allowed. I just choose with discretion.

For example, I don't get the teriyaki wings at 99 because they're overtly sweet and have chunks of pineapple. The honey barbecue is tangy but not sweet. Butternut squash is actually sweeter than that sauce.

See what I mean? Tread the line, but don't cross.

And if you stop losing, then step a pace or two back from the line and make some better choices.

Those choices can all be tasty and keep your palate well entertained.

1 comment: