Sunday, September 8, 2013

It Can Happen

I posted this picture on a friend's blog the other day:



Pay no attention to the "start date."

It's a full month, to the day, BEFORE I started on my low-carb diet.

Needless to say, things are happening rapidly, but the weight loss IS slowing down.

It was bound to happen.

Losing 3 pounds a day indefinitely would simply not be healthy.

The less weight you have to lose, the slower it is going to come off.

Here's the thing:

Part of this program is not getting on a scale. I honestly do not know how much I weigh right now.

I'm reasonably certain I've broken the 300 barrier but that's all I know.

Yet I can gauge by clothes and other factors (mostly involving my wife...'nuff said) about how much I'm losing and how quickly.

At the moment I think a safe estimate is that I'm losing 2-3 pounds per week.

It may not seem like much but think about it:

Let's meet in the middle and call it 2.5 pounds.

In 10 weeks that's 25 pounds.

In 20 weeks that's 50 pounds.

20 weeks is only 5 months.

Not even.

So even if I have 100 more pounds to lose (and I would guess it's more like 60-80 at this point, not 100), that's only another 10 months at this rate.

I totally expect it to slow down more.

This is why I still maintain that it will take a year.

If you have ever tried a diet like this and you've hit a plateau, let me ask you about some of your eating habits.

Actually, let me add a disclaimer:

Plateaus are part of the process. Your body will sometimes need to take some time to repair itself and get ready to drop more weight. This is normal.

Endless plateaus that go on for months or recur frequently generally are not. Odds are you're plateauing frequently because you start cutting corners. Go ahead and admit it. I've done it many times (just not on this program, thankfully).

If' you're doing any of these things, you might want to consider not.

1. Are you eating bacon more than once a week?

2. Are you eating any lunch meat at all that you cannot use to identify the single, actual protein source?

3. Are you eating anything with nitrates? How much sausage would you say you consume? That includes hot dogs, brats, pepperoni, salami, liverwurst, etc. All of these things have nitrates and all of them impede processing fat. They're also fatty as hell and some have fillers that sneak a LOT of carbs in under the radar.

4. Are you eating fast food EVER? Even telling them to hold the bread on your burger will not help you if you're eating at McDonald's. There's no food in that food.

If you're eating a breakfast sandwich and you don't see them crack the egg onto the griddle, you are loading up on preservatives and fillers that will NOT act the same way the raw product will.

 Boil some eggs and have them on hand if you're always on the go. It would also help if you dropped at least one yolk for every three eggs. Two is better.

Nah, I don't usually do it either... but I'm still losing weight. If I ever stop you can bet I will.

I assure you that if you're doing these things, that's at least part of why you can't shake off the plateau. "Meat" in and of itself is not a go-to food. Real meat from identifiable SINGLE sources is.

I think the only exception I ever make to this rule is with ground beef and I only eat that because it has yet to prove any ill effects on the diet.

But you'll never catch me eating a McDonald's burger again. No way in hell.

Try changing a few of these bad habits and see if it doesn't boost your low-carb dieting efforts into overdrive. If it does, I want to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment